Sunday, February 27, 2011

Taipei #3

Third day in Taipei meant more food. I found this place called Brother Hotel, which was right outside the Nanjing E. Road Station, for great Dim Sum!

Everyday is a hungry day in Taipei.


Now that's the perfect description of 'hungry'.


I especially loved the Prawn Steamed Dumplings, Har Gau! The prawns were really crunchy and the skin of the dumpling not too thick.

The other standards were all really good but the standouts would be the DESSERTS!
This was my Mum's order and I generally avoid white liquid - milk, coconut milk - brrrr.

My love was the almond tofu/jelly. It was the perfect ending for the breakfast. At the end of an oily deep-fried and meat filled meal - a refreshing, light dessert.


Time to head to the Jade and Flower Market.

The Jade Market was exactly what I expected it to be - full of jade pieces big and small and of all colours - which I have no idea how to appreciate other than for aesthetic values!




Some of the prices can be really terrifying. But if you don't have a strong interest or knowledge on jade, then I would say make this a short trip or skip this altogether.

For the ladies just dropped by for 10 minutes and headed to Taipei 101 ~ which was quite an amazing sight.





Being close to Christmas, there were Xmas Trees of all sorts all around the Taipei 101 mall :) It felt so jolly~
The Hermes Tree.

The Swarovski Tree.

The 'Tiffany' Tree - okay, I think it is, or at least it should have been!




Oh and one more tree!
We flew over to SOGO for some serious shopping - I mean, enough tourist-y stuff already, right!?
After 4 hours of 'memory blank' (not sure what we did, lotsa skincare . . . persuasive sales people. . . samples. . . money. . credit card. . ?), I got to Din Tai Fung - one of the most popular restaurants worldwide for xiao long bao (They even have several branches in Malaysia) - and one I was highly anticipating!
We ordered the Chinese Wine Chicken (cold) which was freaking amazing. No words to describe. Just delish!

We ordered two different kinds of xiao long baos - pork, and pork and crabmeat.

Best I have ever had. The skin did not break when we picked up the delicate buns (we even experimented with a few violent shakes!) and when you bite in, warm-rich broth comes out. . . .drool.

I prefered the pork and crabmeat one while my sister the pork one. But both the aunties liked both! So go for all of them, I say!

Another dish to order for sure - the hot and sour soup. I really really loved it. The flavour, the texture - just right.

For dessert, the Eight Treasure Rice. We ordered this initially thinking it would be the traditional savoury type. But when this colourful version came, we were all .....speechless. Even so, it was quite special.

But the winner is the Red Bean Dumpling - absolute heaven~~~~ Please order this, believe me?


Oh remember the 'memory blank'? I think it had something to do with SOGO. . . .


The night ended with instant noodles while watching Kang Xi Lai Le on TV. Bliss. Tummy.

0 Hikari*fications!:

Post a Comment

Got Hikari*-fied?