Saturday, September 4, 2010

Why not?

"But why would you do that?"

Have you ever had this thrown at you before?

I get this all the time. All because I am born a bit impractical, a little of a loose cannon and with very much faith in my intuition/feelings.

There is so much in this world to experience, but why would I do all the things I had done - be it a waste of time, effort, intellect or money?

"Why not?"

I know Pepsi Blue is equivalent to a dose of colouring chemical in addition to sugar and caffeine, oh and the calories. I know it looks like diluted washing detergent with suspicious gas.

But damn does it look cool and limited edition? Damn it sounds cool too. Yes, my health screams no but my palate and cool radar (I do have one) beg to differ. So balancing both out, my body in its entirety is at peace. Imagine if Pepsi decided to not produce Pepsi Blue again, in your lifetime, you would have not ever tasted Pepsi Blue just because you chose to give up that chance. It was right in front of you and it was $2.

The same goes for branded bags. You know, the huge price tags and luxurious shops. Makes you wanna scoff at this materialistic culture and ask why would anyone pay thousands of dollars for a bag when the money could be put to better use.

True - to a certain extent. How do you define "better use"? And would my perception of "better use" be the same as yours?

Honestly, if you could afford it, would you not buy a branded bag? Everyone has different priorities. Say, for me - at this point of time, my priorities are: 1) Family; 2) Savings; 3) Travel; 4) House; 5) Handbags (taking 4 elements as examples). So obviously, I would rather save up my money just in case my family needs help or for cheap airfares to wherever I have never been to and think about handbags last. All because, seeing the number in my bank account grow healthily makes me happy.

So for someone whose priorities are: 1) Fashion; 2) Savings; 3) House, how would having tons of savings but a wardrobe of KMart sales items make him/her happy?

Speaking about traveling - I see people foregoing their travel plans year after year because: 1) they wanna save up; 2) they can't leave their house for too long; 3) they are too busy working; 4) they have no time; and the list goes on.

Before they notice, 10 years would have passed and they would say, "Yeah, we really wanted to travel but we just never had the chance to."

Maybe, that is the truth to them.
But not to me - every single reasons up there - are mere excuses to me.

Expensive? Budget it and save towards it.
Cannot leave the house? A house is a commitment, but hello?
Busy working? Annual leave, Christmas break, Easter break, the many VIP birthdays' holidays in Malaysia.
No time? The sleeping in weekends, the many hours spent fighting with gf/bf, the yumcha-gossip sessions.

What I think is, if you really want to go travel and are willing to devote more time and effort in planning - you will go.

The world out there is so huge with so many countries, cultures, history, architecture, food, languages, oceans and experience to explore. Just being here at this very moment, don't you wanna go out and see the rest of the world?

There is so much you can give up on by thinking, "Why would I . . . ?"

As we age, we let rationale, logic, sensibility and responsibility bury the passionate, curious and spontaneous side of us. Even the desire of trying that $2.80 macaroon from the apperantly best macaroon store in Melbourne make you think, "Awww, but macaroons are usually just $2 and it really just is another kind of biscuit." Then you give up trying the macaroon just because of $ 0.80.

At the end of the day, not only do we forget about being adventurous or excited or passionate - ultimately we forget about how to make ourselves happy.

0 Hikari*fications!:

Post a Comment

Got Hikari*-fied?