Friday, January 23, 2009

Can I call this homesick?

Can I Call This Homesick?


I am just back from Thailand :-)

Geographical difference can really make one feel . . . .different? Well, one might say that it is just a matter of distance, or location or even timezone, but seriously, can one really be that indifferent towards culture, language, lifestyle and traditions unique to each place?

Having returned to Malaysia where I am given the constant attention of family members) from Melbourne where I have lived in autonomy akin to a gypsy (?) and went to Bangkok where I spent the whole of 3 days with friends and my sister doing nothing but shop, I must say, I am feeling a bit nostalgic. Towards what?

My life in Melbourne.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family here in KL and I love shopping trips to Bangkok - but there is just something different about Melbourne.

I had a feeling I'd be feeling this way, hence I kinda made a mini-documentary of my last few days in Melbourne.


I love the sunshine on my face in Melbourne especially when the air is cool inside the house. And people scurry to the only spot of sunlight :-)

I miss running downstairs to open the front door and step out to feel the weather. Don't let the glaring sun fool you into believing it to be a perfect day for shorts :-) I remember WenJi stepping out in shorts only to be greeted by a hailstorm within minutes.

This is a snapshot of what Me and Ray had for a 'light' lunch at Lazy Moe's. The humongous portions there never fail to amuse me. I am a carnivore :-) That was just too drool-worthy.

I love dressing up for the weather, for the event, for the location, for the fun of it! To think of a theme or an image, to decide on a coat or a scarf or maybe the boots with knee-high socks? This particular picture:
The weather? It was 23 C in the morning, 34 C in the afternoon, 20 C at night.
The event? House inspection haha.
The location? Murumbeena, my first time over there!
The fun of it? IT JUST IS.
Lately, I am enjoying watching how my friends have grown into different personalities. How each of them are building a life of their own as a first generation in Melbourne - getting a job, obtaining their PRs, managing their own car, moving to a new suburbs. I wonder how things will be in a few years' time?

I heart the desserts over there as well. From Japanese cream puffs (pictured) to pancakes galore. Mmm-mmm.

There are so many small, cosy, well-hidden restaurants all around Melbourne. I love the fact that they are not so flashy, publicized or crowded. They are able to preserve their tradition, their uniqueness and their surprises :-) Like this little place called Rose Garden near Victoria Market - it was nothing extravagant really, but oh it was so home-y. It even used the same cheap IKEA spoons we use at home!

I enjoy travelling on trains with ease, in comfort with my loyal MP3 player.

I also love looking out of the bus window and yelling 'thank you' to the bus driver while getting off.
And I absolutely enjoy walking, everywhere. To the bus stops, to the gym, to the stores, as a jog.
Walking, buses, trains. They seem like normal things one can do just anywhere. But certainly not happily all the time. What makes it so different in Melbourne?
The fresh air.
The organized public transport system.
The helpful and polite people.
The comfortable journey.
The scenery.
The people-watching.

It might seem to be insignificant, but it is a luxury to me as it is definitely not something one can do anywhere in the world. I know I never did it when I stayed in Malaysia and will never do it in Bangkok!
I enjoy spending time at the bus stop - just listening to the music, unwinding, and relax. Cause it means I did not miss the bus as well!

One thing I enjoy the most? Doing my own groceries :-) Thinking of what dishes to cook or experiment with. Getting the occassional treat (which are usually on specials) for hot summer days or cold winter nights! Suffering the consequences of forgetting to buy toilet rolls :-(
It is seriously fun to stroll along all the aisles in Coles - getting my Vanilla flavoured soymilk, updating my inventory of cereals, deciding on which vegetable to buy, etc. Sounds a bit too domestic or aunty-ish to you?
But, it is not something everyone can do, isn't it?
I love living so close to everyone in Melbourne. I can always hop to Daniel's house for his PS2, walk to Amy's house for pot-luck, stroll leisurely to the gym and not forgetting, always going to Ray's place for MarioKart, help him with his gardening or catching LiLet's rabbits which he is currently helping to bunnysit. See the picture of me wearing his over-sized slippers?


I enjoy the fashion there as well! They have a distinctive style. Hmmm, think faded denim, high waisted skirts, cream coloured sleeveless tops, bikinis and surfwear. The picture above is not the best description of fashion. . . . I am aware of that!
I love the penguins there though. . .


This last picture shows a decorative plate in the shape of a cat, nailed onto the top of a small porch-like thing built by Ray's housemate. He constructed the whole backyard into a small garden with wooden benches, bulbs like tulips, etc. And he has a pet cat called FuFu.
Sigh. . . I am missing my life in Melbourne.

0 Hikari*fications!:

Post a Comment

Got Hikari*-fied?