Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fashion Criminal History

Fashion Criminal history

Chinese New Year is not only a time for food, fun, healthy-mahjong sessions, gossiping.

It is definitely a time for fashion, especially for the ladies.

Come on, you must admit this! Girls, you do 'evaluate' how your peers are doing. Guys, do I even need to elaborate on this?

After all, it is just natural since everyone is getting new clothes and everyone wants to look their very best given CNY is usually the only time when old friends reunite and family members gather.

You don't want the pony-tail girl from the next class you disliked jeering at your outfit or your Third-Aunty telling you off for the lack of length of your skirt. Right?

But being human, I guess everyone must have committed some fashion crime. Well, even the celebrities do, so what more us mere mortals? After watching Style Star on E! Channel and walking through Sunway Pyramid only to see hordes of teenagers in different styles, I am so inspired to talk about my own fashion crimes - my numerous memorable if not disastrously unforgotten first times.

Okay, all girls want to look pretty no matter how they deny it. I think I started feeling concious of my appearance when I was in Form 2? But I really started 'helping' myself in the looks department only by Form 4 I think. Woot!

One of the biggest crime I committed must be tucking in my T-shirts to my high waisted shorts and feeling proud of it (this is the cringe-worthy part). Okay, everyone was not doing that by then but hey(!!) I was trying to make a statement! Fashion rebel, ever heard of this? And credit to Mrs Lo for telling me that I actually looked 'special'. Cher, I wonder 'special' in what context!

I permed my hair for the first time right after SPM. Erm, I thought it looked great. But then I started over-styling. Mousse-overload, wax-overload, gloss-overload. Still it did not look like Jennifer Aniston's hair. What was wrong?!? This was a hard lesson to learn. And a long and painful one. Cause I spent Semester 1 of MUFY wearing a greasy, fixed-to-the-scalp, bowl of curly hair to college every single day.

High heels. Bitter during my first wear. Wore them out for lunch with my Dad, to practice before having to wear them for my English presentation during MUFY. Out of all days, Dad chose to go to near the Istana to eat ikan bakar. I was walking like a crab on stilts. Not stylish at all. Borderline funny, and let me add cute to neutralize the negative picture in your mind. . .

I got my first colour-eyeshadow during First Year in uni. Before that, I barely put on any make up so getting a colour eye shadow was a BIG jump! And to officialize this BIG leap, I decided to to do it the extravagant way and got a turquoise shade! Turquiose, you know, turquoise! And I said extravagant cause it really was - I put it on my lids thick and up till my eyebrows - like a billboard for PEPSI. I swear the Professor-who-shall-not-be-named thought I was in his office to seduce him for higher grades! It is not funny, I could've got kicked outta Monash you know!

The turquoise eye shadow disappeared forever. Then came my very first dark eyeshadow during Second Year in uni. Smoky eyes - how sultry, sexy, versatile, eh? Well, not when you over-apply it during the day. A friend actually asked whether my eyes were alrite. Sweat. Kena punched, would I still be eating happily in the cafeteria while fluttering my eyelashes thinking everyone must be thinking I was positively hot on that day?! I am still using the same dark eyeshadow - it really is versatile. But I am using it wisely now. Less is always more :-)

There was a time when I was crazy about the messy hair look. You know, the type Aussies always wear - messy ponytail. Well, I think I got a bit too crazy and my hair a bit too messy. An aunt asked, 'Was the wind really that strong outside?' Sigh.

My Mum started a small fashion retail store two years ago. I got a bit obsessed with accessories and ended up getting high on accessorizing all the time. In a nutshell, I was over-accessorized. I think for a few occassions, I resembled a walking Xmas tree - two necklaces, some bangles and maybe a ring or some earrings. Spread the joy, folks.

Before returning to Melby for my Master, I went to get a different hair colour. This time, the hairdresser was high on colouring and I ended up with at least two shades lighter than what I wanted. It was near CNY as well, and as I looked at myself in the mirror I could only think of - Taiwan mandarins. Big, ORANGE, puffy, ORANGE, shiny, ORANGE. I changed it straight away and kept a photo as a memento.

Those are my top crimes! I msut have committed far more, but I am getting sleepy and too guilty to write anymore. Convict me! Punish me! . . . .with a new wardrobe full of designer clothes. Speaking of which, I got a whole wardrobe of new stuffs, fresh and cheap, from Thailand. I must blog about this place I have been shopping at over there! IT is becoming like an annual trip thing for Me and WenJi!

*******

In a totally unrelated note, people sometimes ask me why I write so much since there doesn't seem to be a lot of people reading (okay la, no one comments or anything, sulk). Hmm, I think the answer is:

I am writing for myself. My own enjoyment.

Although it would be great if others enjoy it as well!

Ultimately, I am happy doing this hence I am!

0 Hikari*fications!:

Post a Comment

Got Hikari*-fied?