Friday, October 31, 2008

DRIVING MANUAL EP. I


I went out for a drive with Instructor Tan using his manual warrior in blue yesterday. As if it was an omen, the sky was gloomy, there wasa hint of rain, wind strengthened and all cars avoided the scene. The only thing missing would be the sound of a sad sad crow.


So off we went to a quieter place, which was this place just on the other side of Clayton Road. A quieter neighbourhood with less cars but . . .

Equally narrow roads!!

Round-abouts so small here and there!!

Cars parking at the side of the roads!!

No streetlights!! (It was still bright during then but..!!)

And naturally Auntie Lo was very nervous and panicky. After all, the very last time I crept onto the driver seat of a manual car was back in the December of year 2003, 24 inch waist, 43 kg (thank you).


It was a canary yellow Kancil and my instructor was a 24-hour sunglasses wearing Malay guy.


It started off pretty bad, mentally for both me and my Instructor Tan yesterday. Despite the expressionless face, I am pretty sure he was scared out of all possible forms of expression known to men.


Snippet of conversation #1


Me: Why got so many round-abouts one!? Must they put one at every single cross-junction!
Instructor Tan: You better brake a bit before a round-about.
Me: Why? I always see that you don't brake before them.
Instructor Tan: Cause I am more skilled! BRAKE!


I think my main shortcoming is starting off to a smooth first gear. In fact, it was so choke-y that I had a mild case of motion sickness when I stepped down as the driver. Can you imagine driving yourself to motion sickness. That must be the most malu-fying case, man.


Snippet of conversation #2

Instructor Tan: You know why it choked? Cause you lifted from the clutch too fast.
Me: *Lifted slower*
Instructor Tan: You know why it choked again? Cause you lifted from the clutch too slow.
Me: *Moderated the speed*
Instructor Tan: You know why it still choked? Cause you did not press enough of the accelerator.
Me: *Pressed more of the accelerator*
Instructor Tan: You know why it choked more? Cause you pressed too much of the accelerator.
Me: Can you ask your car what it wants? We settle it here and now. *Steam from ears*

But I managed to change to the second gear without much trouble. No choking or whatever :-) Perhaps this was the only achievement of the day :-(

Snippet of Conversation #3

Me: Is that the main road!!?
Instructor Tan: I think . .
Me: *Swerved into a random junction dangerously*
Instructor Tan: . . .so.

So that was my achievement of the day. Changing successfully into second gear :-(

0 Hikari*fications!:

Post a Comment

Got Hikari*-fied?